THIS WEEK'S SPITBALLER

THIS WEEK'S SPITBALLER - POPULAR CONSENSUS
BIZARRO!

Sunday, June 19, 2011

BIG BARDA by David Cutler

Like a streak of light, he arrives fashionably late!

Big Barda was my pick for this past week and I'm getting mine in just under the wire. As a young idiot in the 90s listening to Green Day and Our Lady Peace, I never got Jack Kirby at all, and I really never got the New Gods. I remember first encountering them when Barda and Orion joined Grant Morrison's JLA around issue #16 and finding them hopelessly embarrassing. Kids are stupid. I now love Kirby and rank Barda as my second favorite character of his, one of my favorite costumes of all time. It takes a certain swagger to pull off the kind of helmet that would make Galactus feel under-dressed, and Mrs. Miracle does it nicely.

-David

No comments: