THIS WEEK'S SPITBALLER

THIS WEEK'S SPITBALLER - POPULAR CONSENSUS
BIZARRO!

Saturday, June 16, 2012

GODZILLA by Adam Gorham


I had a couple drafts for big G-Zilla before going with this. I tried making him more lizard/iguana while trying not to look too much like a dinosaur or the American version.

That's the thing about Godzilla's design, it's so iconic and unmistakable. You can't say that for most other creatures in modern cinema. The last straight-up monster movie I can recall was Cloverfield, and I bet you a million dollars you can't picture that thing when you close your eyes. Great creature designs can be reduced to a gesture or silhouette and still be recognizable.

I've always felt from a realistic standpoint that Godzilla as a creature was impractical. But then, who cares? So I went a bit leaner and lankier. Maybe I'll throw the rough drafts up on my blog, A Princely Dreadful. For now, enjoy this!

No comments: